A Letter to our Community from Intrigue
A Letter to our Community from Intrigue
Listen. Learn. Support.
At Intrigue, we believe that we always need to be listening and learning about ways that we can change for the better.
Systemic racism and injustice, racial inequities, and the discrimination against Black and Indigenous peoples has mobilized a movement. Our purpose is empowering leaders to strengthen communities, and now, more than ever before, we need to do better as leaders ourselves.
Intrigue is committed to taking action and making change. Our immediate goals are to educate ourselves by providing resources for our team, work with Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour (BIPOC) leaders to help us examine our blind spots, and make positive contributions towards creating an inclusive, equitable, and anti-racist society.
Steps Towards Change
“Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”
― Martin Luther King Jr.
We understand that this is only a start — this is a movement, not a moment. These are our first steps:
- We have surveyed our team to gain a better understanding of their perspective on diversity and inclusion in the workplace and where we can improve.
- Listening to our team has helped us understand their universal interest in gaining awareness and education specific to unconscious bias, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace.
- We are in the process of assessing a variety of online resources to employ as a baseline for educating our team.
- We are also reaching out to local BIPOC community leaders to work alongside our team in order to thoughtfully and sustainably ensure that equity and inclusion is supported throughout our organization.
Intrigue is committed to help strengthen the voices in our communities. To demonstrate our commitment to this movement we are:
- Reaching out to offer support to local organizations supporting the Black Lives Matter movement with options including:
- Offering free air time on our Intrigue TV network to help amplify BIPOC voices in our communities and work towards our common goal of eliminating systemic and interpersonal racism.
- Providing our team’s talent and time to help spread the message of the movement with complimentary digital marketing services.
Contact us for more information.
Below is a list of resources that some of our team members have found helpful:
Project Implicit Association Tests
Project Implicit is a non-profit organization and international collaboration between scientists and researchers who are interested in implicit social cognition – thoughts and feelings outside of conscious awareness and control. The goal of the organization is to educate the public about hidden biases and to provide a “virtual laboratory” for collecting data on the Internet. Take the Implicit Association Tests.
Guelph Black Heritage Society
Guelph Black Heritage Society is a non-profit organization that is focused on enhancing the awareness of the Guelph community regarding its Black heritage and the role of Guelph and Wellington County. The GBHS runs a range of community events and offers support to local businesses and organizations.
Black Lives Matter
Black Lives Matter Foundation, Inc. is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes. By combating and countering acts of violence, creating space for Black imagination and innovation, and centering Black joy, we are winning immediate improvements in our lives. Local Chapter: Waterloo
Guelph Chamber of Commerce
The Guelph Chamber has put together a selection of free diversity and inclusion resources.
LinkedIn Learning is currently offering a free course on Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging for All.
Think with Google
Google is offering training on building more inclusive marketing and diverse corporate cultures.
Intrigue is committed to constantly listening, learning, supporting, and becoming better humans.
Black Lives Matter.
On behalf of the Intrigue Team,
Paul Demarco & Rob Murray – Co-founders