At Intrigue, our purpose is to empower leaders to strengthen communities. We believe that success is built on leadership and we’re committed to building leaders at every level of the organization. The world is full of people waiting for someone else to make a change, leaders step up to create the change they want to see in the world.
We are on a mission to 10x the impact of Intrigue for entrepreneurs across North America. Our goal is to empower 500 clients per year with our Marketing Action Plans in the next 10 years. This is a bold target and we’re committed to bringing it to life.
Working at Intrigue is not for everyone. We expect a lot in terms of personal growth, mastering your craft, and leading others. Our organization has built a platform to do that, but it takes a lot of work from each member of our team.
This position is only open to residents of Ontario that are available to work during Intrigue’s core hours of operation (8:30 am to 4:30 pm EST). Preference will be given to candidates looking to work in a hybrid team environment. Intrigue allows team members to work fully remotely, come into the office every day, or find a personal balance that works for their lifestyle & schedule. Intrigue is a collaborative, hybrid workplace.
Your superpowers include a mix of handling the technical complexities of web development, and having a keen eye for functional design. You have a basic knowledge and use of back-end systems to create optimized, secure, and user-friendly sites to yield results for clients across multiple industries. Learning and growth drive your passion for creating new websites and maintaining a network of existing ones.
If you are a strategic thinker, a lifelong learner, and are committed to leading yourself and a team, this role is for you.
Check out our Perks page to learn about the benefits of a career with Intrigue.
Compensation is base salary, ranging from $50,000 to $60,000. Additional compensation-related perks are outlined on our website.
As a Junior WordPress Developer you will work with the Senior Web Developer to troubleshoot website problems and make changes in WordPress and other CMS platforms, learn best practices for web development and put those practices into action, and work to build web pages for clients that generate leads and achieve results.
Here’s what that looks like:
- Troubleshooting theme, plugin, and page issues.
- Maintaining back-end performance and components, including WordPress plug-ins and themes, and domain and hosting accounts to safeguard Intrigue and our clients.
- Updating themes and plugins on client websites and keeping all themes, plugins, and core code up-to-date and secure.
- Collaborate with team members to help build solutions to various client tickets
- Stay current with web development best practices, strategies, and industry standards, and utilize any findings to continuously improve Intrigue’s websites and web marketing process for our clients.
- Address issues with a root cause analysis and resolution approach.
- Adding or changing content, pictures, or functionality to websites.
- Building website pages using WordPress or other CMS platforms
What we’re looking for:
Our Junior WordPress Developer will come to us with a basic knowledge and understanding of WordPress and be proficient in HTML and CSS. It is important that our web developers are detail-oriented and have the desire to learn.
Your skills and experience include:
- Basic knowledge of WordPress and other CMS platforms
- Proficient HTML & CSS
- PHP development skills
- Knowledge of WordPress plugin & theme development
- Some experience with hosting and DNS setup
- Ability to complete detail-oriented tasks under tight timelines
- Ability to work in a team environment and work with clients
- Excellent English communication skills (spoken and written)
- WooCommerce, Bootstrap, WP Bakery, Gravity Forms, Advanced Custom Fields & Blocks experience an asset
- Knowledge of working with git as source control is considered an asset
- An understanding of UX, SEO, and CRO is considered an asset
- Shopify, Webflow, Wix, Squarespace, and Weebly experience an asset
You embody the following attributes:
- Strong communicator and active listener
- Resiliency and a passion for personal growth
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Excellent time management
- Positive attitude
- Hungry for success
- A learner’s mindset
- Relish challenges
- Honest, even when it’s tough
- Follow through on promises and commitments
- Enjoy working in a fun and fast-paced environment
Intrigue’s Hiring Process
We are looking to bring on a new team member as soon as possible. If you apply for this role, here is the process you can expect:
- Please apply on this page. Qualified applicants will be invited to a 15-minute video discovery call with Chelsey Mathieu (Intrigue’s Recruitment & Culture Specialist). You will also be asked to submit a portfolio or sample(s) of your work.
- If we feel that your experience is the right fit for Intrigue, and you feel that you would like to continue the conversation, we will ask you to join Chelsey, Paul Demarco (Intrigue’s Co-Founder), and Bill Rasmussen (Intrigue’s Senior Web Developer) for a longer interview style discussion.
- If your experience is the right fit for Intrigue, and you feel that you would like to continue the conversation, we will ask you to join Chelsey and Aphra, Intrigue’s Content Team Lead, in a career opportunity discussion.
- If both Intrigue and yourself have the desire to continue forward, we will ask you to complete a web development case study where we will give you a small project to get a feel for a working relationship. This project will then be presented to Paul, Chelsey, and Bill. We may also ask you to complete an Emergenetics Profile.
- We will also speak to past managers, employers, and direct reports as a piece of this process.
- The last step in the process is, of course, the offer stage!
Intrigue Media Solutions Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer that supports and promotes equality, diversity, and inclusion. As an organization, we will accommodate any needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, and the Ontario Human Rights Code. If requested, our hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application or recruitment process, please get in touch with our Human Resources team at email@example.com or call us at 1-877-240-0305, and the appropriate accommodations will be made.